Ride to Darwin – Day 2

Up at 4.15am this morning after a good night's sleep, feeling refreshed and realising that I didn't pack any food for breakfast, oops. After some coffee, hotel biscuits and sultanas I packed the Super Tenere and made the decision to press on rather than head home.  At that point the only plan was to ride to Darwin via Uluru and just try to get as far as I could today, but at least Glendambo (1450ks).

The IBA ride clock was reset, yesterday's ride and the long break rendered it useless, so the first thing was to get to the Shell for a new start docket, 5.18am.  The second was to take a dodgy photo of a sunrise on the way to Warren.

Super Tenere at dawn

Things picked up, I stopped at Cobar for fuel and breakfast and a coffee, they had a pre made bacon and egg roll ready to go, so some time was saved.  A jerry stop between there and Broken Hill where I got more fuel.  This is the fourth time I've been here since September last year, can't believe it. 

I like border photos so I took one at the South Australian border at Cockburn, I haven't seen this sign before, always just headed for the big one about 30 metres further into South Australia. This is an old sign, it's in miles!

Super Tenere at the South Australian Border

I decided not to stop at Yunta and pushed on to Peterborough for the next stop. Some Vortex 98, a pie and some time in the aircon, it was warming up. I then rode up through Wilmington into some rain and a big drop in the temperature. So I had a wet run down Horrocks Passon the Heidenau K60 which didn't seem too bad given it's intended use.

I was focussed on where I might get to today and rode straight through Port Augusta without getting a corner docket.  I didn't realise until I stopped at Pimba but it didn't matter too much, the diversion into Uluru tomorrow would put an end to any Centreline 36 ideas I might have had.  The rain had stopped by the time I started heading north but there was a very stiff cross wind from the west. There were some nice things to look at though

Lake between Port Augusta and Pimba

Pimba was blowing a gale so I went inside had a drink and called home.  I decided to push on to Coober Pedy which would make about 1750ks for the day.  I rang my support team and asked her to try to find some accommodation for me and if there wasn't anything available to book me into Glendambo. Back out into the wind and I managed to reach Glandambo before dark.  Anne had sms'd me the details of the hotel she found in Coober so I was on my way into the sunset.

Sunset after Glendambo

After dark the wind dropped, which was nice.  I didn't see much wildlife and there was very little traffic.  It was actually quite a pleasant ride into the opal mining town of Coober Pedy where I was determined to get a photo of the truck on poles.

Coober Pedy Truck on Poles

I went to the 24 hr servo and got some food, fuel, drinks and breakfast and then went to find the hotel my wife had booked me in to.  Once found the key was in the agreed location, I let myself in, ate and went to bed thinking about what was ahead for tomorrow, the Northern Territory and Uluru!